What is Duplicate Content?
In SEO Duplicate content is refferd as identical or similar content that appears in more than one web pages, either with in same website or in different websites. Search engine aim is to provide useful and valuable search results to their users. Duplicate content create confusion for search engines in determining which version of the content to rank in search engine.
Different types of Duplicate Content?
1.Internal Duplicate Content: In this case same or very similar content appears on different pages with in the same website.
2.External Duplicate Content:same content appears in multiple websites. This can happen when the content is copied and republished without taking permission from one site and posted in another site.
3.Canonicalization:website owners can use canonical tags when they have duplicate content in their site. Canonical tags indicates search engines preferred version of the page when there are multiple similar pages in same website . Search engines then prioritize pages by choosing canonical version for indexing and ranking.
It’s very crucial to address duplicate content issues .They may negatively impact search engine rankings. Duplicate content may impoact authority of your websites, it reduces the likelihood of your ranking well for specific keyword or queries and result in penalties for content theft and manipulation.
How Does Duplicate content Affects Your SEO?
Duplicate content impact negative impression on your website’s SEO for many reasons:
- Search Engine Confusion: When search engine bot’s encounter duplicate content, they become confused between which version of the content to index and rank. This type of confusion may lead to suboptimal rankings for the pages, as search engines may not choose most relevant version.
- Divided Authority: Duplicate content split the authority and link equity or link juice among multiple versions of the same content. This can reduce SEO strength of your website.
- Crawl Budget Waste: Search engines bots allocate limited amount of crawal time to index your website. Duplicate content can waste the time and budget on pages that will not provide unique value.
- Penalties: In certain cases, search engines impose penalties on websites with duplicate content, especially if seen an attempt to manipulate search rankings. Such penalties can result in de-indexing or lower the ranking of website from search results.
- Confusing User Experience: Duplicate content confuse user experience. If the users experience same or similar content across different pages, they may get confused 0n which page to click , leading to lower CTR ( click-through rate).
For more information search engine optimization